Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:31:09 -0600
From:
Rick B Schroeter <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, Listmates!

Just wanted to update you on the reaction I got from The Vitamin Shoppe
when I called to inform the president of the company about the
mislabeling problem they have with their brand of vitamins. For those who
did not read my original post, I ordered through this company a formula
called Osteo Protector. It stated in the catalog that it did NOT contain
soy, which I'm allergic to. When I received the vitamins, the label on
one side again stated it did NOT contain soy, but under ingredients on
the other side of the label, it had isolated soy protein included. After
talking to a manager of the company, I was told to dispose of them and
that I must have been given a bottle that had not been updated, and also
a catolog with the wrong ingredients.

After posting this to the list, I received many replies from others who
had had the same experience with this company. One person had received
vitamins that stated on the label there was not any gluten in them, only
to find out they had barley. Vitamin Shoppe is a large entity, with much
of it's business obtained through catalog and internet orders.

I again phoned the company yesterday and asked for the president of
Vitamin Shoppe, Jeff Howard. His secretary took down my message (which I
explained in detail) and said he would get back with me. Today, I
received a call from a technical support person from the company (did not
get his name) and he said the vitamins do not contain soy! I told him of
my experience and he said he was sorry, I must have been sent an old
bottle of the Osteo Protector. Telling him of how dangerous it would be
for celiacs if they listed vitamins as not having wheat and gluten in
them, and then finding out they did, did not faze him. Many of us have
allergies to other foods and additives that can give us additional
problems to deal with, so it's important to know that the label is
correct.

For those who would like to register their concern with this company, the
phone number is 1-800-223-1216.

Christie in TX