Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:56:30 +1100
From:
The Reid's <[log in to unmask]>

Dear All,

I have read about how caramel could be harmful for Coeliacs, and
wondered why this was so.

Caramel is made (basically from heated sugar) in many different ways for
the food industry for use in many different products.  One journal
article I read said that D.D. Williamson & Co, one of the biggest
caramel manufacturers in the world - based in the USA, produces over 60
different varieties.

It can be processed with acids, alkalis, and/or salts, and when
processed with sulfur, people who need to avoid sulfites may be
sensitive to it.

Caramel may also contain barley malt, but this is supposed to be
labeled.

Then I came across an article yesterday that said:
'A European study found that some individuals who are marginally
deficient in vitamin B[sub 6] (pyridoxine) may be sensitive to caramel
coloring.  This coloring is difficult to avoid in processed foods and
beverages.......Caramel coloring was classified by the Joint FAO/WHO
Expert Committee on Food Additives as "D", signifying that virtually no
toxicological data are available for this colorant.  Because there are
many different methods of manufacture, it is nearly impossible to
characterize caramel coloring for regulatory purposes'  "What are
natural food colors?" by B.T. Hunter, source -"Consumers' Research
Magazine, Aug 1999, Vol 82, Issue 8, P.20.

This would mean that it is GF, but could cause sensitivity for those of
us who are Vitamin B6 deficient.  Does anybody out there know any more
about this?

Cheers,
Jean
Melbourne, Oz