Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:21:27 +1000
From:
Kathy Robison <[log in to unmask]>

I was overwhelmed with responses and really surprised by the number of
people who experienced this sensation and wanted the responses.  I am
keeping a close eye on it as last night the pins & needles were in the back
of my scalp.

Suggestions were:

1.  some get pins & needles usually when facing  more stress than usual.
Water healthy diet & exercise help

2. a)  Many suggested that I see a neurologist.    One said "Please see a
Neurologist as soon as possible.  You may have Peripheral Neuropathy; these
are the symptoms.  Your Neurologist will also check you for diabetes (a few
suggested this), and try to find the cause of your neuropathy."

b)  Please see a Neurologist.  I had these symptoms until they progressed
to a peripheral neuropathy which I now must take medication for or I cannot
function.  Also try to stop drinking coffee and/or coke and see if the
symptoms disappear.  I'm not sure if the swollen glands or itchiness is
connected but don't leave them out when speaking to a neurologist.

3.  Many reminded me of the improper absorption caused by CD and suggested
Vitamin B12 deficiency causes tingling and numbness and many have B12 shots
once a month.  Others suggested folic acid/magnesium/iron/calcium
deficiencies.

(Note:  I am very aware of the absorption issues as I was diagnosed with
advanced Osteoporosis at age 38 prior to CD diagnosis - I also have other
issues - poor teeth enamel, infertility, endometriosis, gastroparesis
etc.....)

4. There were some concerns that I was taking large doses of Vit B6 are
you? In doses over 100 or 200 mg, B6 can do nerve damage.
(Note:  I do not take any B supplements - I do take an iron supplement as
the last time my blood was checked the doc said I had no detectable iron
and as well I take rocaltrol for osteoporosis - I have just started some
homeopathics for endometriosis pain).

5.  Pins and needles is usually a sign of neuropathy.  Unfortunately, it is
a part of celiac along with a high tolerance to pain. Itchiness can be due
to topical contact with gluten.  Check our your soap, shampool and
detergents for gluten.

6.  Paresthesia is the medical term for it:  often caused by pressure on
sensory pathways or "neuropathy," a series of nerve disorders.  Yours is
only at night and such temporary episodes, specifically at night, would
probably be from the way you sleep that puts pressure on nerve pathways.
The itching in the daytime may be residual from the pressure at night.

7.  Others suggested be carpel tunnel syndrome in my hands.

8.  Check the bed - for proper support.

9.  one takes six to eight ounces of soda water every day and I have been
trying that and found that IT HELPS.  I don't know what you call tonic
water.  Here in the US we use it to makes gin and tonic (and probably other
drinks) -- it has quinine in it.  Ask your doctor about taking quinine.  I
remember that you are not supposed to drink tonic water when pregnant, for
instance.

10.   what stopped it for me was 100% total elimination of APARTAME.  I was
a diet coke drinker and liked the sugar free pancake syrup too. I recently
switched to Diet Rite canned which now says aspartame free right on the
case and cans (not bottles they have aspartame still) and started getting
pancake syrup with splenda and using stevia in my coffee and the whole
thing stopped cold after about 3 weeks.
(Note:  The only drink in a can or bottle I have is an occasional Tonic
Water in my G&T.)

11.  Others suggested poor circulation.

13.  stay strict on the diet and supplement calcium, potassium and
B-complex

14.  I've read it can be caused by nerve damage or irritation, as a result
of gluten ingestion either before diagnosis or after.