From:
Ann Sokolowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 10:08:32 -0500

healthy....wrong, wrong, wrong!

first, most people are VERY misinformed as to exactly what consitutes
the Atkins diet.  It is NOT just meat.  The restricted part of the diet
lasts only two tweeks when you eat protein and salads and then add other
veggies....except the starchy ones and grains {sounds like a gf diet,
doesn't it?].   altho fats are technically allowed, your taste for them
quickly diminishes.  I find I eat less fat than before.

the Atkins diet is bascially the old diabetes diet.  There is a website
on Maelstrom for low carb diabetes.  We all limit carbs.  The leading
expert in diabetes, Dr Bernstein, who has written several books,
advocates a limit of 30 carbs ad ay [for the rest of your life].

My nutionist has stated that the low fat diet has been found NOT to work
in eighty percent of the general population.  Most of us do better on a
a low carb diet.  The amt of carbs that is optimum for us is an
individual thing.  Atkins recommends slows adding carbs until we reach
the limit for us.  Low Fat has become an industry. evem tho it has not
been shown to lower heart attacks and/or cholestrol.  My nutionist said
that low fat is not even being taught in graduate level nutrition
classes.

As for the comment that just by increasing activities and cutting
calories you will lose weight....sorry that doesn't work for everyone.