From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 18:35:38 +0100
At 09:52 2000-01-07 -0500, you wrote:
>Just wanted to know if you can make jerky out of deer heart
>- will it be tough?

Probably. Perhaps let it age in the fridge (free air alll around)
a week before drying.
 >Can
>you make jerky out of ground deer, lamb, turkey of pork, or
>will it fall apart?

It will not fall apart. Form flat peices, 3-5 mm thick.

>Are there any good herbs to season it with?

Any You like, I use mostly thyme. You can also mix in grated carrot,
leafy green veggies. Use Your fantasy.

>I've seen many recipes for pemmican.  Can
>you make it without putting fruit in it, and is lard an
>acceptable substitute for suet?

Lard is OK, but will make the pemmican smeary. I use olive oil or
coconut fat (also smeary pemmican, but once in the stomach, what's the
difference?) Fruit is not necessary.

Turn Your kitchen into a laboratory and experiment. You will find out
what is best for You.

- Hans