From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:37:55 +1100
From: Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
havoc via its acidifying effect.

> As I understand it, Ben, no chloride ion is liberated when
> sucralose is ingested,

I'm sure that is correct. The point is that I didn't want people thinking
ionic chlorine is harmless.

> again because the body's sucrase enzyme
> cannot initiate the breakdown of the disaccharide.  It has been a
> while since I looked into this (purely academic interest, since
> I've never used splenda), so maybe you have some more recent
> information that supersedes it.  As I understand it, the altered
> sucrose leaves the body intact; the maltodextrin "filler" is of
> course digested as usual.

I had such severe abdominal pain and cramps from the fermentation of
sorbitol (a non-digestible sugar) in low calorie chewing gum, that I'm not
game to try any of that rubbish. I suppose if the bacteria can't ferment
Splenda it would be alright but is it really necessary??

In fact, I'm not keen on any frankenfoods- they always turn out to be bad
for you, and I'm trying to be a big adult and give up all these sweety
indulgences.

Ben Balzer [log in to unmask]