From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 00:31:23 MST
Ken wrote:

--->On the contrary <snip> there are NO scientific studies that show  that
reducing fat intake has any beneficial effect - yet that continues to be
promulgated as truth by the media.  And there are iron-clad scientific
long-term studies <snip> demonstrating clearly that hyperinsulinemia is the
primary cause of heart disease.<---

Hyperinsulinemia is also the primary cause of obesity.  Anyone more than 20%
above his or her ideal fat percentage* is hyperinsulinemic.  It's a classic
which-came-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg equation.  Either you are
hyperinsulinemic and became fat, or got fat and became hyperinsulinemic.
Either way, obese = insulin resistant and you have two weight-loss options;
eat next to nothing and hate every minute of it (not to mention regaining
the weight lost when you go back to your old ways) or reduce your carb
intake.

Excess insulin = obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart
disease and I've also seen reports tying it to clinical depresssion.  Does
this sound familiar?  Of course it does.  These are several of the same
things Audette addresses in "NeanderThin".  Even paleodieters who help
themselves to fruits and higher-carb paleo veggies eat fewer carbs than
their average donut-cookie-WonderBread-corn-'tater-rice-cereal-'n-cola
consuming cousin.

I know I've blathered on about excess insulin before, so pardon my
redundancy.  But dietary fat is NOT the problem - it's the carbs.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

* I may have misstated the technical term, but the number is correct.  What
I can't remember is if the formula is 20% above ideal body weight, body mass
or body fat percentage.  Whichever it is, I'm sure you get the idea.