From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 09:48:47 +1100
I don't believe it at all. I bought the book, read it and disagree. Still,
if nothing else works give it a try. All the type O's do OK as he gives a
paleo diet, some A's and B's report it helped them, good luck. We're all
different- many a diet works by addressing an undiagnosed food allergy in
that particular individual. I've read some of D'damo's rebuttals, and even
posted a link to one on this list, so I've tried to be fair.

I think he started with a reasonable idea- that lectins cause disease- and
that he failed to develop it properly.

Lectins do far more than agglutinate blood group antigens- most of them have
no effect on these but do other nasty things eg screw your T-cell white
blood cells, cause lymph node enlargement, strip mucus, kill cells, make
cells divide. Aslo, lectins are not the only antinutrient group- others are
important, and D'adamo doeasn't address these. He even has his own lab. Why
he's failed to go further with lectins is something that I'd really like to
know- must check his site and see if he's answering questions again.

The rest of his theory depends on his idea that blood groups A and B arose
gorillas have them. He recommends soy for A and AB I think- one of the
highest lectin foods. I'd say soy is worst folowed by potatoes followed by
wheat. Rice seems least in the common grains. No-one has a list of lectin
loads- simply I've seen charts showing how many different lectins are
present, plus some idea of toxicity of the uncooked foods.
Bottom line is that if you want to avoid lectins, eat paleo. There are a few
lectins in hard shelled nuts, but otherwise the lectin load is very low
(some lectins are probably harmless eg animal cell lectins). Paleo of course
is low in all antinuttrients including enzyme inhibitors, glycoalkaloids

there is still a lot to be learnt about lectins. I'm corresponding with a
lectin scientist and will let the list know if I discover anything exciting.

Ben Balzer