C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 21:00:58 EST
In a message dated 12/09/1999 12:09:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<Oh by the way I went to one of the magnet PD schools (Holmes) but I was
mainstreemed for all but one resourse class (study hall) because of stamina.

One of the December discussion topics on Tell us your story
(www.tell-us-your-story.com) is assessing segregation.  Jim posted that he
was interested in hearing about positive or negative experiences with
mainstreaming.  Your comment reminded me of the discussion topic so I thought
I'd mention it.

I am big on letting kids take charge of things--it is good training so that
they will learn assertivness later on.

This is the first piece of advice to take in preparing a plan of action
before contacting the school board.  I'll be seeing some of the children and
parents this Saturday morning so maybe we can chat about this whole idea.  As
I said, we are not represented in great numbers in the City schools, so I
don't know what they might be doing.

There is a fifteen year old on my own board of directors and he is very much
part of the board meetings.  He interacts beautifully with the other board
members, and everyone thinks of him as a valuable asset.  One time we got off
track, as board meetings sometimes do, and he stopped everyone and said "You
know, I think we're getting off topic here."  I was impressed with him for
taking the bull by the horns and getting us back on the subject.

 But an adlut comming in and giving a talk wouldn't hurt at all.  Anything to
 further the cause I say.  The more that people with disabilities are out
 front were people can see us the more accustmed people will become to seeing
 us and that is our ultimait gole--not to stand out.  You are welcome to use
 anthing I talk about in planning disability awarness programs.

Thanks Anee.  This would be a great lead role for a child with a disability,
and if the school system is interested in doing this, I'll let you know.  I
appreciate your input.

Betty