C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:09:22 -0500
Betty,

About ten years ago I found out I had a little problem called paroxysmal
atrial tachycardia (PAT), now more commonly known as supra-ventricular
tachycardia (PSVT).  In layman's terms, there is more than one electrical
pathway in my heart that causes extra beats when the adrenal glands are
stimulated through certain meds or stress.  In 1990, I was in ICU for three
days with a cardiac rate of 190 bpm, but a normal sinus wave.  The syndrome
in and of itself is not dangerous, though if left unchecked the heart can
literally "wear itself out" in a matter of days.

Sometimes I know the stimulus that starts this phenomenon, usually not.  It
isn't CP related.  If you're prone to a fast heart rate, you need to be
careful of common stimulants like:

caffiene
decongestants like Sudafed
epinephrine
lidocaine or xylocaine
any vaso-constrictor

Like I said, the tachycardia itself is not life-threatening.  Scary, though,
because your adrenals and other stress-hormone glands are dumping massive
amounts of fight-or flight goodies into your bloodstream.  You have that
same sensation that you get when you're badly startled, but the feeling
doesn't go away.  Yuck!