C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 08:12:46 EST
In a message dated 02/12/2000 6:20:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Kyle,
     Would love to read your article! By the way, what is PETA? And is that
 really their moto that a dog is a rat is a boy??? >>

Cindy -- With Kyle's kind permission (which I didn't even ask for), I'll go
ahead and answer your question.  PETA stands for "People for the Ethical
Treatment of Animals."  PETA is an animal rights organization that focus on
concerns about the way laboratory animals are treated; whether there are
unnecessarily duplicated experiments; or just plain unnecessary experiments,
on animals in laboratory settings; vivisection; and issues of that general
nature.

PETA's approach to addressing some of the things they think are problems
seems similar to the way Greenpeace operates with respect to environmental
concerns.

Since the Peter Singer flap started, I read that PETA based their
organizational principles on his book,"Animal Liberation."  I don't know if
that is an accurate statement or not -- so please don't quote me. I can't
remember the source.

If they did base their organizational principles on "Animal Liberation," then
the "dog is a rat is a boy" premise would stand, probably with the unspoken
understanding that the boy has a less respected status than the dog and the
rat.

Hope this answers your question Cindy.  Kyle (or anyone), if I've said
anything that sounds inaccurate, please correct me.

Betty