C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 23:55:05 +0000
             Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Pardon my cynicism, but I would make odds they never collect
> and if they do, it will be a fraction of the settlement.
> Insurance companies have very deep pockets and can outlast a
> family in the "judicial proces".
>
> Bobby
>

> > Cool beans, baby!  Now let's see if they collect, because you
> > KNOW Humana will appeal.
> >
> > -----Original Message----- From: Barber, Kenneth L.
> > [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 2:28
> > PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: cp family nails
> > hmo to the tune of $79.5 million
> >

> > i do not know all the details, only what was in a short brief
> > in the business section of the morning paper here in atlanta.
> >
> > the court awarded a 9 year old girl with cp 1 million in
> > compensatory damages and 78.5 million in punitive damages
> > from Humana Health Insurance Co. i think they are a HMO. the
> > company reortedly terminated her treatment for a year and
> > lied to her parents.
> >
> > that is the extent of the brief. if anyone knows more let us
> > know.

Isn't this a little obscene?

It appears from ism's post that Humana withdrew the girl from a
high intensity program on the advice of their own doctors. The
question of whether the particular program is beneficial should
be a purely medical one, using the facilities of independent
medical tribunal when there is a difference in medical opinion
between the parties.

If I received $78.5m every time a company lied to me I would be
exceedingly rich (and so would we all). Most "lies" are in fact
ignorance or laziness on the part of the speaker (they don't
"know" the answer to your question and their too busy/lazy to
find out) so they "invent" an answer to get rid of you.

What frightens me is that HMO's will now think twice about
"trying" treatments in borderline cases, since it would appear
the juries will not allow withdrawal of treatment on grounds of
lack of efficacy of that treatment!!

Off my soapbox!!

Cheers,

--
Deri James
Computer: a device designed to speed and automate errors.