C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 22:27:29 -0500
Here's a somewhat comical story related to how I explain my cp to
kids...Keep in mind I have taught ages 5-13...

I usually tell kids that the part of my brain that controls my muscles
in my legs was damaged when I was born and that makes my legs less
flexible than the average person.  Then I give them something they can
relate to...I always told them that, for example, I couldn't touch my
toes without bending my knees (as I proceed to illustrate).  They end up
bending and touching their toes, feel the stretch and then there is this
"Ahhhh, I get it!" exchange.

Funny thing is, that since I had the hamstring lengthening surgery this
summer, I CAN touch my toes without bending my knees, so my story has
had to change a bit.  I shared this fact with one of my former students
before school started and she said, "Don't worry, Miss Wagner, if anyone
doesn't believe that you used to not be able to do that, I'll tell them
you're not lying!"  We both giggled at that!

Something else, I've done a health fair day with the entire grade level
and had speakers come in to talk about nutrition, body systems etc., and
I always do my own session on CP and make kids walk with a wooden block
between their knees to see what it feels like and how much more tiring
it is.  It sure generates great discussion!

Linda