C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 12:52:15 EST
In a message dated 12/05/1999 10:54:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<   what do think about disabled comics, that makes jokes about their
 disabilities?

It seems to promote disability awareness.  I don't know, I think this is
different from exploitation.  Stand-ups who talk about their own disabilities
in a humorous vein are letting people know that we are okay people too.  It
seems to help break down the communications barrier.

Disability has been a taboo subject through the years.  I was taught not to
stare, and not to ask questions about a person's disability.  In fact, my
mother was so certain that I would inadvertently insult someone with a
disability, she practically taught me to behave as though they were
invisible.  She had fears about what to do or say herself, and she tried to
instill that in me.  My own disability has given her a chance to see things
differently these days.

I don't know if that was a standard in child rearing -- it was just the
experience I had.  I have a sneaking suspicion that it's common for children
to hear things like this in their formative years though, and it leaves the
impression that it's better to avoid the subject altogether.  Unfortunately,
the adult who was raised this way might be likely to avoid us altogether too.

Hopefully inclusion efforts are making the difference, and stand up comedians
who have disabilities can be part of that effort.

Just my thoughts,
Betty