VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karyl Loux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:49:26 -0400
I have read with interest all the postings about the AOL Beta testing.  And
I have a strong opinion.  I'll share it here.

First, David is right.  For a software creator to know if a software works
it needs to be beta tested across a broad spectrum of users.  Companies do
this all the time.  This does happen to be the first time I have heard of
someone asking you to provide this type of personal information.  Most
companies just ask current users to beta test and provide feedback.

The problem here is that AOL software is so troublesome to access technology
users that very few are using it.  Further, those that have tried it and
dealt with the crashes and problems it causes, are unlikely to want it
reintroduced into their computers.  I work with access technology for a
company that provides and teaches folks how to use screenreaders and
magnifiers.  AOL is our biggest nightmare.  Once it is introduced into a
system, it is like a virus that attaches itself to all kinds of places
making changes that cannot be removed without causing other problems.  Thus,
if you put it in you are stuck with it or traces of it.  So, why would
anyone want to do something that you just can't uninstall if you don't like
it.  Oh, you can uninstall AOL, but not its trace footprints that are all
over your computer.  Good luck, if you decide to do this thing.  I would
never recommend my students/client to do this.

Finally, one of my favorite radio talk shows is Tom Martino, the Trouble
Shooter.  Every week people call about issues with AOL.  They try to cancel
the service and cannot.  They order the cancellation and will be billed for
months after the service is cancelled.  Then they have to go through a huge
fight to get the bill cancelled, and sometimes end up in collection services
before they succeed.  I think you should check out the Troubleshooter.com
web site and look up AOL.  I have been listening for 2 years and all I ever
hear is that AOL will not treat you right financially.

Each of us is entitled to do as we please, and take whatever risks we feel
we can handle.  This one just wouldn't be for me nor anyone I am responsible
for.

Karyl