From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 19:14:39 -0800
There are times that a low-level format IS required. However, it most likely
is not the answer to bad sector problems. I ran into a problem with a new
SCSI hard disk that would not boot till I performed a low level format. In
that case, the format was done by the Adapted SCSI card itself - it has such
a utility in the card's ROM.

A good program for doing low level on IDE drives was the AMI diagnostics
that were available back in 89. If you can't find this or similar DOS
utility on the nospin web site, or download.com, then send me a note and I
can send it as an attachment (only 84k - remember the DOS days?).

Peter Shkabara
http://www.geocities.com/~anapro