From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:17:29 -0800
On Friday, 25 Feb 2000 11:02:16 -0800, Lew M Russakov <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am using a CD rewriter to back up my computer.
>
>Under System Tools, the backup program will not >recognize the drive that
>my rewriter is on.

>I also can't get Quicken to backup to the rewriter.

>1. Does anyone know how to get System Tools/Backup >and Quicken to
>recognize my rewriter?

>2. What should I backup? I am backing up my Document >folder, but don't
>know how to backup the Registry.

>3. Should I be backing up Autoexec and Config files?

>4. Any other backup suggestions?

>I am running Win 98SE, Quicken 99 and have an H-P8200i Rewriter.
>
>Thanks,

These are just ideas and suggestions. The first thing we want to check to see is if the backup utility is properly configured and installed. If it wasn't installed during setup, do the following:

If you have Windows 98 or 98SE, to load it:
      1.  Click on Start
      2.  Click on Settings
      3.  Click on Control Panel
      4.  Double click on the icon labeled Add/Remove Programs.
      5. The middle tab is labeled Windows Setup, click on it and it will have a middle box with several choices.
      6. One of these choices is Disk Tools, put a check mark in the box next to it.
      7. Click on the button labeled Details while the icon labeled Disk Tools is highlighted and you should see an icon labeled Backup.  Make sure that this icon is checked.
      8. Click on the button labeled Apply.
      9. Here, it will ask you to insert the Windows 98/98SE CD-ROM.  If one did not come with your computer you should already have the necessary files on your computer. These files are located on the C:\ drive under the Windows directory, in a directory labeled Options.(C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS).  Backup in Windows 98 is a scaled down version of Seagate's Backup Exec. Although your CD-Writer is listed as a HP CD-Writer Plus 8200i and is supported by Windows 98SE, you may need to upgrade to the full version or visit your vendor for updated drivers.  Info can be obtained here,
http://www.shoppingplanet.com/Compu/Softw/Utili/62237.htm.
You want to go repeat the same steps for Quicken and even though I have d/l it, I haven't installed it at this point because I am comparing the differences between it and Quicken 2000 which I can also get as an upgrade. I have never experienced this type of situation.

When it comes to backing up your system, the rule of thumb is to backup all data and system files that you wouldn't want to spend more than an hour reinstalling.  If it's just the Quicken files, backup that info only. The same goes for the Documents folder.

There are several ways of backing up your registry that is relatively painless. Start|Run|Regedit.  From the Regedit menu, choose import/export registry file and save it to a floppy diskette.  Alternatively,use the Registry checker  (ScanReg /restore) that does more than check the registry. It automatically creates a backup of your registry when Windows 98(SE) startups successfully. Choose Windows Explorer|Folder Options|Click show all files under the View tab and then click apply.  Open the Windows folder and right-click System.dat. Copy this file to another location and follow the same procedure for User.dat. These files are generally in your C:\Windows|Sysbckup folder. You will see a group of cabinet files with names like "Rb001 and Rb002.  Copy these to another source of storage media. Lastly, you can d/l SysBack from http://www.crypto-central.com/sysback.html and this utility will do it automatically for you. HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html