From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:25:10 -0800

>I am dubious of the cohesion and shear factors of a piece of double sided
>tape.

Anthony's link provided this explanation which addresses Jim's concern
however I am still skeptical.......

Thermal tape
Thermal tape is used for sticking heatsinks to chips without any additional
support/clips. It is thicker than other interface materials, and because of
the glue on two sides, its thermal conductivity is not ideal. However, its
performance is still acceptable, and for sticking heatsinks to graphics
chips (which don't get as hot as CPUs, of course), this stuff is great. For
testing, I used a very good thermal tape, supplied by TennMax, which is
used for the Lasagna/Stealth V2 coolers. Note that because it is primarily
for cooling graphic chips, the tape is very small and only covers a smaller
part of the CPU, which in part also explains why the thermal tape is a bit
behind in the chart above. I also tested another "standard" thermal tape
(supplied by Vantec some time ago), which was much larger, but apparently
not as good; it didn't perform any better.
I have heard of some users of the Lasagna graphic card cooler who said that
they were afraid of their cooler falling off the graphics chip. I can
definitely tell you that this fear is totally unjustified - the thermal
tape supplied with this cooler will hold very well, and it really wasn't
easy to get the heatsink off after my test

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html