From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:46:23 -0700
Dori Zook wrote:

> Good question!  The tape stopped after Ray's segment.  To whoever saw the
> entire episode, what DID happen to the girl?  Did the operation start to
> help her?  I'm no health expert (yet), but there was obviously more going on
> in her body than hyperinsulinemia.  Or was there?  Any pros with input on
> morbid obesity and how one might get there?

The poor 550-lb girl got down to 275 lbs, and started thinking life might
actually be worth living.  This was happening in 9 mos.  But I couldn't help
thinking what happens when she has burned off that body fat and has a
stomach about the size of an apricot.  A person could starve to death eating
constantly.  It was pathetic watching the other people cut a chocolate donut
into quarters, and eat one quarter per hour.  These people didn't eat healthy
food, they ate the same crud they ate before, just in much smaller quantities.

IMHO someone like that girl, enormously overweight even at 2 years old,
has something really serious wrong genetically; cases like this might
require "heroic" means, but not something as totally lamebrained as reducing
the stomach's capacity to 1 oz.

Lynnet