From:
jlpresto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:24:27 +0900
<How is it produced? From the palm tree?>

Well not directly.  But yes I believe the tree is brought to the palm oil
factory where it is extracted.  The brand I am looking at is 100% palm oil
it says.  Tho it has chunks of orange stuff in it..it says it is palm beta
carotene.  Has anyone else seen this type?

<Can one get palm oil, or eat something with lots of palm oil without
other technology than stone and stick??>

That is the heart of MY question in determining if a food is paleo.  And I
simply don't know.

This is why I would like to know if PALM HEARTS are paleo.  Because if paleo
people did peel and eat the heart of palm, that would be good enough for me
on both the heart and the oil.

<Is it beleivable that palm oil was something our ancestors depended
on rather much, or was it something they only got a little of.>

Probably in most places, as an oil, they didnt depend on it at all.  But if
palm hearts can be consumed from the whittled down stick, my guess is that
people sometimes ate it...do you think they soaked it in some seasalt water
first, like it usually is in a brine, here?

I know nothing of this matter.  I come from Wisconsin.

How much are you going to consume?

Probably 1-3 tbsp a week, if I buy the stuff...a little for my indonesian
salad dressing recipe.

<These are the questions to ask, and everyone has to evaluate the
answer for his/her use. I am not going to rely on palm oil,
perhaps I should dare to eat a little of it now and then.>

That's how I handle stuff like tomatos and some dehydrated fruit, which I
wont buy, but may have one if served in a dish.  But some foods I accept to
a greater degree, to keep my options open for entertaining guests and so on,
and just variety.  Some foods like tomatos give me health problems, so I
avoid them.  Paleo to me means a guideline for will it hurt my (rather
fragile parisitic-infested IBS) stomach.

I mean, how much olive oil do you think paleo man really ate?  But all the
oils I think on the chickens and beef I eat are only so good, and I like to
trim esp. chicken fat, and replace with a healthier fat...so I am asking
about palm and other stuff not just from a paleo perspective but also a
health perspective, since I know that our foods are so adulterated.

So, Hans, what about bamboo?  Is bamboo "paleo" in the above my definition
sense of the word?

Paleogratefully yours,

Judith
- Hans