From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:20:18 MST
Todd and the rest:

>The truth is, I wish I knew more about this.  Personally, I find
>that most fresh fruit is quite self-limiting.  For example, an
>apple is about 80 calories.  Although some people don't like to
>use fruit when they are trying to lose weight, because it kicks
>them out of ketosis, I find that I *never* want a second apple,
>and a single one blunts my appetite for some time.

For me, at least, fruit is a bad snack idea.  While The Carbohydrate
Addict's Diet lacks in many areas, Heller & Heller are right; for many
people, carbohydrates are addictive.  One time I let myself buy oranges in
addition to my meat, fish 'n leafy greens and ate SIX oranges on the way
home!

The only way I can tolerate fruit is to get ALL carb-rich foods out of my
diet for several days and enter a 'Zone' of my own; old-fashioned hunger and
NO carb cravings.  Only then can I eat small amounts of fruit.  I eat it
only on rare occasions and NEVER by itslef.  For someone with insulin
resistance, even low-carb/low-glycemic fruits are bad news.  Which is sad,
because I love fruit.  I guess I just love it too much.

You're right about nuts, though; they're chock full of calories!  Just like
fruit, I try to eat as few nuts as possible because of the high calories and
the high price you pay to get them.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO