From:
Justine Shrider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 21:38:36 -0600
Gordon wrote:

> On the subject of evolutionary psychology, I understand a new book was
> published recently titled "Born to Rape". The authors present a theory that
> rape is a genetic adaptation. According to their controversial theory, it
> should be no surprise that rape is a common crime in modern society because
> our primitive ancestors were often brutish rapists who were likely to have
> fathered many children.

My response:

Maybe our primitive ancestors (the men) were strong, active people who
hunted cooperatively, shared the food with their group, built fires to keep
their babies warm, and painted pictures of cows on walls.

Who were they raping? Were there hundreds of extra women around who weren't
already pregnant or who didn't have their own male companions around who
might clobber a rapist?