Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:36:19 -0500
(pronounced with a short ih sound -- grih* bih* niss)

 My Orthodox Jewish grandmother always served this. She used chicken fat,
affectionately referred to as schmalz, in everything, and it gives
incredible flavor.)

Here's the recipe for doing it the "yiddishe" way -- from the Love and
Knishes cookbook by Sara Kasdan. So from hunger you shouldn't starve ...

Chicken skin (collect and save)
1 pound yellow chicken fat (ask the butcher to save it for you)
Onion, chopped fine, to taste (usually 1 small to medium)
1/4 cup water

Cut chicken skin and fat into 1-inch pieces. Place everything in a heavy
saucepan over a very low flame. Simmer gently until all the fat has been
rendered and the chicken skin is crisp and brown. Strain. What's in the top
of the strainer is grebenes (cracklings) and what's in the bottom is schmalz
(rendered chicken fat).

Robyn (new Paleolithic list member)

PS If anybody wants the recipe for traditional fashioned Jewish chicken soup
(you won't find it in a standard cookbook), email me. Still miss those
matzoh balls, though.