From:
tom roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:16:44 -0600
Todd, when you said:

> I don't agree that sugar itself
> is non-paleo.  If you eat a single orange you'll consume more
> sucrose than you will from a large serving of bacon

am I correct in  understanding that you are saying all forms of sugar
are the same? That the sugar in bacon or a candy bar is, in effect no
different from the sugar in a piece of fruit?

If so, I have to disagree because of my experience with how my body
responds to different forms of sugar. Almost every morning I start my
day with a piece of fruit; a pear or an apple or a glass of OJ. and they
never bother me in any way. I am satisfied but I never crave more.  But,
were I to have just a couple of pieces of bacon or another item that had
some form of table sugar in it, I would immediately crave more and more;
the exact same craving that I would get from eating toast or a bagel.
And like an alcoholic I would be off the wagon and probably go on a
sugar eating binge.

I do not have the science backgrond to prove my position but I can
assure you that there are a lot of people who respond quite negatively
to table sugar and it's close cousins but have no response to fruit or
the sugars in veggies. Therefore there must be something that is
different.

Tom