From:
Jody Bessner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:34:20 EST
Today  I went with my daughter (8 yrs old) to an appt. with a
cardiologist/cholesterol dr.  About 9  months ago, she had a high cholesterol
reading ( 230's or something) my pediatrician recommended she see a doctor to
be on the safe side.  (we were then in the process of changing our diet
around).  So i went to this cholesterol dr., and he seemed open at the time
to hearing my nutritional theories, though I didn';t discuss them in detail
( i was afraid he would spout the standard low fat jargon).  Anyway, today we
came for a check up (her cholesterol has dropped) and we had a much longer
discussion about nutrition.  Here's the exciting part...he is affiliated with
Schneider Children's Hospital in NY, and has been working on a study on diet
and lipid profiles in overweight kids.  He and his staff put these kids on a
low carb (about 20 grams, I think) ketogenic diet -(consuming about 2000
calories or so I believe) he was very cool and honest and told me he figured,
prior to the study,  these kids would lose weight, but their lipid profile
would get worse.  MUCH to his surprise, their lipid profiles have improved,
along with a weight loss.  He was really astounded!  He was very open to
discussing paleolithic nutrition, and i referred him to Cordain, Simopolous,
the web site, et al.   The nutritionist was also very open and rethinking her
previous ideas.  It was a very refreshing exchange with representatives of
the medical establishment.  THe study is not completed yet, but he promises
to let me know when it is, and we can find out the results.  Jody