Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:12:50 -0800
Todd,

you have mentioned something that's been puzzling me, maybe you or someone
else can explain.  Why do some people on this list go out of their way to
eat saturated fat, & does the saturated fat in pemmican affect us
differently than eating saturated fat without processing it, as in fatty red
meat, for instance.  My own practice so far has been to remove visible fat
from meat, and only eat the leaner cuts--both for health & aesthetic
reasons.  Even when I was a kid I was grossed out by fatty meat.  But I am
willing to experiment with pemmican, etc. as long as someone explains what
it will do for me.

By the way, speaking of rendering, and this ties in nicely with the other
thread of ethnicity, my traditional Jewish grandma used a lot of rendered
chicken fat for cooking.  I always wondered why the traditional old people
in my family lived such long, healthy lives (granny lived to be over 100, as
did her mother), when they practically lived on chicken fat.  It tasted
pretty good, too.

Diane

Paleodiets tended to be quite high in