From:
"Raymond, Charles E. x1280" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:05:14 -0500
Date:   Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:08:27 CST
From:   Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> >
Subject:        Exercise Protocols for Health

Here r my thoughts and they're tentative at this point so feel free to
comment or offer suggestions.  I believe that cardio is a complete waste of
time.  Genetically, I believe our bodies our *not* well adapted to cardio
(similar principle to the paleo diet-we're not programmed to eat grains
and dairy).  In nature, creatures *usually* exert themselves for short
amounts of time, and then they rest.  So, if this is true, y not use
anaerobic bursts of strength (e.g. weight training) for health and skip the
cardio entirely.

Yes, you can do this. I can outlast many aerobic instructors in various
activities. I do not run or train my cardiovascular system by any means
other than High Intensity weight Training.

What type of exercises should I do for health.  Here's what I'm doing now.
As far as exercise, I'm definitely improving, but I'm for sure if it's
healthy.

Monday-Upper Body
Hammer Strength Incline Press (2 work sets)
Nautilus Machine Pullover (2 work sets)
Curl-Grip Pulldown (2 work sets)
Dumbbell Lat Raise (1 work set)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press (1 work set)

Your shoulders are getting blasted with this routine. Your body does not
require that you work it from every angle in order to develop. Only perform
exercises that work the greatest amounts of muscle mass at one time, such as
Squats and Deadlifts. I use Mike Mentzer's consolidation routine for the
most part and I have no trouble packing on muscle and strength. Drop the
Lateral Raises and Shoulder presses from your above routine and you'll have
a good upper body workout. You may want to alternate chin-ups with your
close grip pulldown.

Thursday-Lower Body
Full Squats (2 works sets)
Leg Extension (2 work sets)
1-legged calf raises w/ dumbbell (2 works sets for each calf)

Drop the leg extensions. Squats will more than work the entire leg.
Alternate Squats with Deadlifts to ensure that you hit everything. As with
all advice, you have to make your own mind up about whether or not to follow
it. I normally do not give advice on routines. As long as you are physically
able to perform Squats and Deadlifts IN PROPER FORM, they are no more
harmful for you than any other exercise. Always move slowly and under
complete control. NEVER jerk or heave a weight. I terminate the set after I
reach momentary muscular failure. Which means that I can no longer get one
more rep no matter how hard I try. I only perform one set of each exercise,
so my whole routine usually takes me no more than 20 minutes to finish. I
rest for about 4-5 days between workouts. You make great demands on your
body's system when you train in a High Intensity fashion. So you need to
give it time to heal and grow. Exercise is in itself a science, people take
it too far and it can have negative ramifications if not done properly.
Exercise should not be, how much can I do, but how much do I need. More is
not better, Less is not better, Precise is best. It takes a while for you to
tune into your specific needs. It's better to take the time to learn and
listen to your body than to take the alternatives. Steroids  are a loosing
proposition, these so called miracle powders and potions are no better than
eating candy. They will not work! Eat right, train properly, rest adequately
and you will grow.  If you haven't already, check out these links:

www.cyberpump.com <http://www.cyberpump.com>
www.mikementzer.com <http://www.mikementzer.com>

These will explain proper exercise to you or anyone else interested. And for
those who may be on the HIT Digest, you'll recognize my alias.

Mr. Intensity
*