Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:07:57 -0400
Kendra and Karen asked:
Can someone tell me why a person has to have a doctor's note to purchase a
green
organic cotton or organic cotton mattress in America?  What kind of note are
they looking for?  Do you have to have proof of allergies and such?  My
family
is extremely sensitive to the bed we are sleeping on and would like to
replace
it with an organic cotton futon style mattress on a slate wood bed a few
inches
off the ground.  Currently my 18 month old son and I get very itchy when we
go
to bed and my son has scratched so bad that he has bled.  I assume it is an
allergy to dust mites or something.  When I wash the sheets it is OK for a
few
days (unless I wash them with ALL).

When you mentioned the ALL (detergent, I presume), I wondered if you had
thought of switching to a bio-degradable, non-toxic laundry detergent. I
have used bio-degradable, non-toxic household cleaners for more than 12
years.  You can find many brands in natural foods stores or by mail in
specialty catalogs.  Many conventional cleaners emit toxic fumes or are
flammable (e.g., Lysol!!).

I just wrote an article (several weeks ago) for a local magazine aimed at
partents.  The title was:  Can What you Don't Know About Household Cleaners
Be Harming Your Child's Health.  If anyone would like to see it, you can
e-mail me privately.

Rachel