C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:02:09 -0400
Hi again,

I had also joined a 'yahoo' club for spina bifida and asked the same question
there, about being related to cp........  the answer I got from two people say
yes, particularly in myelomeningocele cases (I was one)...... here's what one
person said:
---------------------------
   Cerebral Palsey and spina bifida are in fact related. I was told
   when my son was very young that he does have cerebral palsey
   due to the fact that he has brain involvement with his spina
   bifida ie arnold chiari malformation and hydracephalus and
   shunt. Cerebral Palsy by definition means paralysis due to
   brain involvement. It was explained to me by spina bifida
   doctors that his paralysis although minor is due to the
   involvement of his brain, and spinal cord which is an extention
   of his brain. Therefore, technically he has cerebral palsey. The
   term cerebral palsey can also describe people who have any
   type of paralysis following a head or spinal cord injury. It is also
   used to describe people who have suffered strokes. It is a term
   used to describe the paralysis due to the involvement of the
   nervous system. It is most commonly used of course to
   describe people who have paralysis due to brain injuries at
   birth.My doctors told me not to be alarmed by this, it is a term
   that medical professionals use because he has paralysis due
   to brain involvemnt due to his spina bifida. So tecnically your
   doctor was correct. It is something that we don't think about, but
   by definition, is so. I hope this helps.