C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:21:09 EST
One thing that used to tick me off in the fire department here, was that if a
guy came in with a hangover they captain would let him lay down and sleep in
the morning.  I always felt like it was a sign that he was till affected by
the alcohol that he drank the night before and the real reason it made me mad
was because that guy would still have to run calls, even with the hangover.

That meant that he would not be on top of his duties completely.  I never
understood why the leadership of our fire department was so lenient about
that.  My thought is that if a person knows he has to perform at his peak at
work the next day, shouldn't he be held accountable for the physical
condition he places himself in?

Also, if this was a sign of alcoholism, then molly coddling it by feeling
sorry for the guy and letting him sleep it off instead of holding him
accountable seems like a form of enabling.  What's your impression of that?

In a message dated 02/07/2000 10:12:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,