BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Callahan's Preservationeers"
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:44:24 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/00 2:19:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< << For me, the gossip on the street was that there was something wrong with
 the Columbia Preservation program but nothing further. >> >>

Lest my words be taken wrong I'll add more to be taken wronger.

I had no opinion on the merits of the Columbia Preservation program as not
having undertaken it I feel it really would be gossip on my part to
extrapolate opinions from second hand information. A sad face and a sheltered
comment from a graduate friend one day left me fumbling in perplexity. The CP
program has always been somewhat of a mystery to me as, besides knowing such
fine people as Jan Pokorny, Twybil, Squirrel, Julip etc. my encounter is ONLY
with the human products of the program, and not directly with the program
itself.

In some respects I think for me Columbia University is like one trying to
define an elephant based on the behaviour of the fleas, having once many many
years ago seen an elephant in the distance.

Working, as a preservation contractor, with graduates of the CP program has
always been a very satisfying and educational challenge. The fact that on
occasion I get an opportunity to return the challenge I take as a serious
civic responsibility.

What I do feel is that the CP program puts pressure on the histo presto
industry in constantly upping the need to keep technological information
sensibly applied in the field and that this creates an intellectual imbalance
in the over-all workforce. It seems as easy for people to get carried away to
excess with new information as some will with new found money. I'm not sure
to what extent there is discussion in the CP program re: "How do we leave the
classroom environment prepared to spread technological information into the
preservation industry?" I would think that the strategic dissemination of
technological information would be of great benefit to halting the so easily
accomplished and uninformed harm that is done to historic fabric.

I don't hear that the CP curiculum includes such practical topics as 1)
identification of the salvage carter (about to leave with the irreplaceable
cast-iron radiators) or 2) how to avoid Cousin Vinnie. I suspect that to an
extent CP graduates are left to their own devices in this regard and in
particular they apply lessons learned from other experiences in their lives.

I admire those graduates who are open and willing to share their knowledge
and experience with a contractor and mechanics in the field, and I go out of
my way to work with them as a result.

][<en