Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:19:52 -0700
When discussing the problems with potatoes, forgive me
if this seems a silly question, but are we referring
to the white potato that is most common in stores?  Or
does it include all potatoes, those with red, yellow,
purple, orange and brown flesh?  Or did they only get
called potatoes because of a linguistic
misunderstanding?  I only ask because I know that
there are numerous kinds of potatoes.  The Inca
developed potato varieties that were dependent on the
immediate environment (some needed lots of water, some
not, some grew in rocky soil, some needed lots of sun,
some not).  They had other root and tuber crops that
they developed, oca, achira, papa liza, luki and maca,
with no English equivalent names (info from the book
Indian Givers by Jack Weatherford). Is anyone out
there familiar with those names?  I wonder if those
would be considered paleo since they are root crops.
Jane
(merely seeking enlightenment of the paleo way)

=====