C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Charles Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 05:28:57 -0400
I have a question for you older ( with some of the recent exchanges I have a
hard time using the word "adults" ;-D)
Alex is beginning to outgrow most of his DME and it is time to look at
replacements.  Alex is mild/mod Spastic Quad. As of yet he does no
independent standing or walking.  At this time he has a kid kart ( meaning
he needs to be pushed) a mobile stander, and the rifton gait trainer.  I do
expect in the future that Alex will be able to ambulate but it won't be his
main mode of transportation. (BTW Alex is 4.5 and in Special Ed preschool).
He is capable of maneuvering the mobile stander by himself fairly well,
although he enjoys playing bump em walls...I think he likes the
sensation/surprise as there are some visual problems involved....
On to the question,  just what DME can't you live without?
I know many of you swear by the WC..manual or electric.?..canes, walker
etc...Could you also tell me what you particular CP involves and how it
effected your choice of DME...what about school aids?  Computers, writing
aids etc?
Do any of you use a gait trainer?  I know that you will all keep in mind
that Alex is young and needs to still develop skills,like any kid, so again
what DME did you really appreciate growing up ( although I know kids hate
all things that set aside from the crowd, I just figure if we start early
maybe the WC, gait trainer etc will just seem to be a normal part of him as
he knows nothing else) Please keep in mind that Alex shares house space with
7 other people and space is limited so if you know of any combo products
 ex...walker with a seat etc) it would be appreciated

Joanne