From:
Sharon Marcus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:10:46 +0200

Hi List,

Thank you to those who responded to my question about Original Flavor
Pringles. I received about half a dozen replies and of those who had real
knowledge of the subject, there were still conflicting answers.

One or 2 said essentially that it's better to be safe than sorry, if in
doubt, and that celiacs should stay away from food like that anyway since
it's filled with preservatives and artificial junk. Also "modified food
starch" is vague enough to cover their hides in case they find it's cheaper
to make Pringles with wheat. That way they don't have to change the label.
It should therefore be avoided.

One said categorically that they are NOT GF and one said that according to
the list from the Celiac Association, the original flavor IS GF.

Someone was nice enough to e-mail Pringles (I didn't know they had e-mail
or I would have done it myself) and this is the answer they received:

"We are aware of the seriousness of true food allergies and want to
make sure you have the most current and correct information.
Because products change and consumers may refer to outdated,
incorrect information, we no longer send out printed lists of
products which do or do not contain particular ingredients.

"The Food Allergy Network (FAN) is an organization for people who've
already been diagnosed with food allergies.  FAN strongly
recommends reading every label for specific information about the
product.  For an ingredient to be an allergen, it must contain
protein.  If any known allergenic food or food component is in the
product, it will be listed on the label.

"For more specific information about reading labels, please contact
the Food Allergy Network at 1-800-929-4040.  If consumers call, FAN
will send a sample newsletter, information and recipes.

Theresa
USA Pringles Team"

In summary, it is probably best not to eat junk food in the first place.
I'm sure the Celiac Association list was correct and accurate as to the
time it was published, but in light of the above e-mail from the company
that makes Pringles, they apparantly don't send out GF declarations anymore
because ingredients change and they don't want to be liable. So, maybe it
is indeed better to avoid Pringles, no matter what the flavor. What a pity.
Oh well....

Sharon Marcus