From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 21:58:48 -0500

Dear List:
I was asked to report on the Thanksgiving dinner I described last week,
(with a marinated turkey, mashed potatoes and parsnips, brussels
sprouts, an appetizer of raw vegetables with an anchovie/garlic/olive
oil dressing, grapefruit and avocado salad, cranberry sauce made with
orange and slightly sweetened with homemade lemon marmalade, and pumpkin
pie made with goat milk and gf cookie crumb crust).

The meal was a tremendous success, particularly because my newly gf son
who has been terribly ill was able to prepare the turkey and the
stuffing, and to be inordinately proud of the achievement when it came
out just wonderfully.

His special guest, a peer newly diagnosed with ADD was totally turned
off, not by the meal, but by the idea of changing even the tiniest
little thing about his life style.

By the end of the dinner my son was truly grateful that he had
experienced feeling so much better since being gf.  It was a wonderful
holiday, and the feast was appropriately the center of it.

There was well-meaning criticism from one list member of the elaborate
menu.  In reply:  We are all gourmets in my family.  The food has to be
interesting or we feel deprived.  It can be simple peasant food, but it
has to be tasty, and preferably with a touch of individuality.  If we
had been rigorously devoted to simple, unadorned dishes my son would
have never gone along with the gf idea.  It would have been another
punitive aspect of his health, and he would have never cooperated to a
meaningful extent--that means he would have continued to sneak poison in
the form of gluten-containing junk food.

The gourmet element is critical to the success of the diet in this
household.

No one became even the slightest bit ill from anything on the menu.

Cheers.

Nancy in nyc