From:
Niko Antalffy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:01:47 +1000

Hi everyone!

I got an overwhelming response to my Thai - soy sauce question. Thanks
for all of them.

Almost everyone thought that soy was the culprit (sorry I couldn't do
the numbers, I got over 60 e-mails!), although a few thought that
authentic Thai doesn't use soy sauce, some said Thai food contained fish
and/or oyster sauce that may or may not be safe.

Some say that there could be additional problems with Thai and generally
oriental food, sometimes corn starch is not really corn, and certain
spices can be 'buffered' with wheat flour (Indian asafoetida is!) or
non-gf vinegar may be used. Three people mentioned MSG as a problem
item. It seems there are plenty of things to look out for! Lucky I don't
have paranoia... but I'm working on it (a few nights ago I ordered
wedges (chips) somewhere and they turned out to be coated in a non-gf
powder!).

Solutions range from taking your own soy sauce and train the
chef/waiters, to asking for the food 'naked' and adding own wheat-free
tamari at the table (half of respondents; Fountain and Spiral seem to be
the ones in Australia), not eating out at all in order to stay totally
GF, choosing other restaurants: Indian (no breads but pappadams OK) or
Vietnamese, seeking out GF-aware restaurants, eating before and after
going out, taking their own food to the restaurant with them! Some of
you deploy several strategies, rotating them around! Many seem to resort
to fried rice or baked potatoes with own sauce at table.

Some thought that moving away from vegetarianism would be healthier,
although since I'm in it mainly because of ethical reasons I would only
contemplate such a move if I was in danger of losing my life, as those
beings on our plates have done so. On the other hand I'm still willing
to debate the health effects as I'm generally ready to learn about
nutrition forever.

As a starting out celiac I'm really happy about the URLs you sent me and
the huge amount of (mostly) friendly information.

Despite the blues that got into me for a while I haven't eaten my
partner's wheat biscuits, instead I discovered 'home-grown' (Australian)
carob-buckwheat bites, sesame crunch and my mother's wonderful flourless
rice souffle. I'm also delving into chocolate-coated orange peel, walnut
and date bars, all gf,  and I'm experimenting with a millet crusted
sweet-potato pie! Everyone around me is very considerate (my mother's
baked a gf almond cake and bought a good bread-machine for my birthday)
and I found a really fantastic gastroenterologist; biopsy in two weeks'
time.

Thanks for all your support, it's been very important!

I'll be back with recipes and if my doctor agrees I could share his name
and address with other Sydneysiders (e-mail me, he's in Five Dock).

Niko