From:
arline black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:22:43 PST

SUMMARY TO QUESTION:

Are folks with Celiac Sprue without DH also
sensitive normally to iodine containing foods
and do they commonly break out with hives
after ingesting them?

A total of thirteen people answered.

Five people answered and said they had celiac
disease and not DH and they did not have a
problem with iodine.

One person had a friend who was not celiac
but who was highly allergic to shellfish.

Another lady has an adopted daughter who does
not have celiac but has many allergies which
produce hives including vaginal hives if she
eats Perdue Chicken (contains anti-biotics
she said), shortening, tomatoes, and orange
juice. Her homeopath prescribes RHUS TOX 30C,
from health food stores, two pills under the
tongue every four hours. The pills helped her
through chicken Pox also.

One lady without DH does not get hives from
iodine containing foods but she cannot
tolerate oyster shell calcium (interesting),
IV tests, and shell fish. She gets a rash
starting from the ankles and w0rking its
way up to the abdomen.

Another girl can't eat shellfish because
she has to make many trips to the bathroom.

One girl was interested in the question
because she has had a hive like rash on
her forehead and wondered if iodine could
cause it. She also had a goiter, and at the
present time, shingles. She was wondering
whether the shingles might be DH instead.

One lady was Celiac and not DH but is
sensitive to iodine used in an intravenous
MRI or maybe it was a CAT scan. She had a
rash last year after eating in one week
several meals with shrimp. She plans to
see an allergist or dermatologist before
she eats it again.

Another lady has celiac but hasn't been
diagnosed with DH. When she eats something
salty, she get an itchy painful rash on her
face. She says that she may have DH but she
thinks it might be a staph infection she
caught at a workout club where others have
had a staph infection. It does however,
never fail to come on after a good ingestion
of salt that has iodine in it.

Another person with celiac only, tried for
weeks to find the cause of her hives. She
used different diets including her GF one,
citric acid free, lecithin free, and lectin
free. After little improvement she realized
that she was eating iodized salt. When she
stopped there was obvious improvement.

The last girl said she wasn't diagnosed with
Celiac, so to take this with a grain of
iodized salt :-):

She had a very allergic reaction to the CAT
scan dye. It was TRI-iodobenzene. She itched
all over and broke out in hives. She also
just seems to have a natural aversion to salt.

Thank you all for answering. I enjoyed your
posts. For my own purposes I have to conclude
that there doesn't seem to be an obvious
relationship between being only Celiac without
DH and having an iodine sensitivity.

There is another skin disease called Lichen
Sclerosis that I have and on the Lichen
Sclerosis List I found many people who had
an iodine sensitivity. Since my LS has gone
away since I became gluten free, I believe
that there is some relationship but I guess
that iodine isn't seemingly involved in non
DH celiacs.

Best Wishes for Happy Healthy Lives

Arline