From:
Rene' Delehanty-Eichem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:40:04 -0500

Here are some of the responses I've received to my request for lunch
suggestions; many people are interested in what others take in their
lunches, so keep the responses coming in and I'll keep posting!

get your crock pot out and explore your options..soups,stews u name it u can
cook it...

if you eat yogurt, that's good.  salads, rice, chinese, japonese food,
cheese slices, bags of chips, pirates booty, corn chips, protein
bars(genisoy).

I cook enough for dinner each night to have enough for at least one extra
meal.  I then freeze or refrigerate and reheat in microwave.

I make a big pot of chicken vegie soup on the weekends- portion it off into
containers and freeze. Even if I could eat the food at the canteen I
wouldn't !! Some days I'm actually teaching in the commercial kitchens so
get a piece of fresh fish on my way and cook it up for lunch.
hope that helps.

I make sandwiches for my son.  I make buns using Sylvan Border Farms bread
mix.  (It has quinoa and amaranth in it) It's a family run business and one or
more of them have celiac.  The bread is tasty.  I make the dough in my bread
machine and then put dollups of it on the hamburger bun pan.  I let it rise
again and then bake for about 10 minutes.  After they cool, I slice them and
freeze them.  But they'll last a few days fresh.  I've made him egg salad
sandwiches, ham, pbj, & chicken salad sandwiches.  The way this bun cooks, it
doesn't crumble easily and it's softer than the store bought Food for Life
breads.  I also bought him one of those insulated lunch box/bags that has a
hard bottom compartment.  I put his sandwiches in there so they don't fall
apart that easily.  So, there's a sandwich option for you.  Sometimes he just
prefers a piece of ham and cheese rolled up.  You could do that with a corn
tortilla and put cream cheese/ranch dressing or some other kind of spread on
it.

Leftovers. Of course, we have a microwave in our office. On weekends I cook
up a batch of brown rice and throw a port roast in the crockpot overnight.
Then, during the week, I put a cup of rice, some diced pork, and a handful
of mixed frozen veggies into Tupperware and off I go. Sometimes I
substitute tofu for meat. Or mix veggies and meat, lay a couple of corn
tortillas on top to heat it up (and steam the tortillas) and make a wrap
sandwich with GF salad dressing of your choice. My fave is ranch. Honey
mustard is good also. Tuna mixed with salsa and scooped on corn chips is
pretty good too-and quick. A baked potato or rice with tuna and salsa is
also pretty good.

I always make extra at dinner time and bring leftovers plus salads of all
sorts.

Hi! My most common lunch is leftover supper! I have even gotten used to
cold potatoes!! I like this since I don't have to do alot of extra prep in the
morning, and I always know it'a safe since I made it in the first place.

A thermos bottle is a must!  You can make a little extra dinner for the
next day.

I have a great recipe for you-it will be in my new GF cookbook coming out
Jan2000; "Cajun and Southern Gluten-Free Delights." I hope you have a
micro---put one package( 10 to 12 ounce) chopped spinach in the micro--add
no water--cook 10 minutes. Open a can of tuna,  add it then put about 4
Tablespoons of Ranch dressing on top Mix well--then salt to your
taste--great tasting and especially easy to make.

I usually do the tuna on corn thins for lunch. If there is a microwave at
your new work you could cook extra stir fry etc and take that. I know it's
not quite the same as freshly cooked but it makes a nice change : ) You
might be able to take the kinds of things you eat at home for lunch but
change some of it so it travels well.

If you have a microwave at work, make up frozen lunches from leftovers on
microwavable plates (even some paper) and take them to work.  They can stack
in your freezer and are quick, tasty, and nutritious.

Usually I bring the leftovers from the previous day. Soup is a great
choice, expecially as the colder months approach. When I have a weekend
that's fairly calm (and fairly rare!) I cook up a storm for the following
week - bread, treats like banana or zucchini bread, crustless quiche, a big
pot of basmati rice, chili, soup - all of which are easily carried to work
for heating. And on the days when they have pizza and cake for someone's
birthday, well, those are the days I feel deprived but completely unwilling
to sample them and go back to the "old ways!"

Some ideas that i use are deviled eggs, or anti-pasto with gluten free
crackers, cottage cheese and fruit or veggies, homemade soup (if no
microwave, a thermos will do) salads with or without chicken, a deli
style set up - pickles, cheese, olives, a gluten free deli meat, fried
rice, or any leftovers (i make extra) from dinner the night before.  If you
are able to get use of a microwave, leftover rice pasta and sauce is great!

If you are finding tuna boring, i have a little trick that is absolutely
delicious.  Chop up white onions (if you like them) chunky, stir in
peppercorn ranch salad dressing and a generous amount of black pepper.  It
is fantastic!

I take small tins of fruit from Del Monte and my homemade bread made into
buns with swiss cheese and ham which I microwave to make moist and fresh.  I
also keep peanuts at work and sometimes bring a banana or grapes.

I found that the GF cold cuts were too salty and didn't agree with me.

I roasted a chicken breast, a turkey breast , and a small beef roast and
sliced them thin, portioned them out into a few slices for each piece of
plastic wrap, placed each group of slices into a ziplock bag, labeled them,
and put them into the freezer.  I make bread dough in the bread machine and
use Baker's Secret muffin crown pans and make rolls, slice them.  You can pop
the frozen meat slices into them and add whatever you want as a condiment.  I
use a little honey or maple syrup so the sandwich won't be so dry as I can't
very well tolerate most of the condiments, too spicey and vinegar doesn't
agree with me.  You could also add a slice of cheese.

I eat Fantastic instant soup everyday.  I bought an electric pot to boil the
water.  There are a good variety and they are not very expensive.  I don't
even get tired of eating the same thing every day.

I keep frozen homemade muffins and sliced zucchini bread in the freezer.
And bring it to lunch, along w/fruit salad, deviled eggs or hard boil eggs
in vinegar, cashews, sandwiches w/th most delicious bread I posted the
recipe on the msg. I posted to the list 3/3/99.

I usually take leftovers and heat them up in our office microwave. I make
extra to be sure I have enough for lunch. I don't always eat last night's,
sometimes I wait a day, and I may combine them or season them so they are a
little different.  In addition, I keep Lipton's gf Tomato and Cream of
Chicken Cup O' Soup at work, as well as Miso-cup, canned gf salmon and
tuna, and of course rice cakes. Since I have a fairly big personal storage
area right now, I keep my favorite gf seasonings & condiments, too, like gf
tamari sauce, Lea & Perrins worchestershire sauce, salt & pepper, etc., and
some snacky things like Nutella and gf peanut butter. If I didn't have the
storage, I'd keep all this at home where I could grab and pack it for
emergencies. (I have all this stuff at home anyway, but it's convenient
having it at work, especially if I'm rushed in the morning and what I
forget to do is pack lunch!) Sometimes Pamela's gf cookies for dessert.
For a treat, I may bring and heat one of Tamarind Tree's microwave meals,
or Amy's Mexican-style (corn) tamale meals, but that could be expensive on
a regular basis.

if you eat yogurt, that's good.  salads, rice, chinese, japonese food,
cheese slices, bags of chips, pirates booty, corn chips, protein
bars(genisoy).

A. Rene' Eichem, Publications Editor/Writer
University Publications, Kansas State University
5 Anderson Hall, Manhattan KS 66506
Phone: 785.532.6419 / Fax: 785.532.6406
mailto:[log in to unmask]