From:
Sheryl Sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:12:16 EDT

Dear Listies:

It appears we're opening another can of (hopefully GF!) worms with this
debate on tamari sauce.  Both Albert Biderman and Srhackett have wrestled
with the issue of .00017 gluten in said sauce.

Our question is this: what does that number mean???

Srhackett stated in his/her summary:

>when I called the manufacturer, they said that they
>could not guarantee that is was GF because they had the product tested and it
>showed .00017 of gluten.<

This begs the question: .00017 WHATS of gluten?  .00017 grams? .00017 percent?

As for the number itself, whatever it should mean...does anybody know how
many WHATS are in, say, a slice of white bread??

This number could mean many things.  If, for instance, in a gram of soy
sauce, there is .00017 KG of gluten, that would be substantial.  On the other
hand, if there are .00017 GRAMS in a KILOGRAM of soy sauce, that would appear
to be quite another problem.

Anyone who could shed any light on this issue would be MOST welcomed!

:)

Eric and Sheryl Sawyer
Cayuga, Ontario CANADA