Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 00:38:17 -0500

Greetings, Listies!

I have to respond to the lukewarm GF label given to Betty by the Land O
Lakes representative.  The rep asserted that the butter should still be GF.
I sincerely doubt it.

Although I know their products are no longer *guaranteed* GF, I have
continued to eat Land O Lakes butter without any problem as I  have for
years.  Lately I have had some digestive upsets that I wrongly attributed
to stress.  I ended up with the worst gluten reaction I've had in over a
year.  Having not eaten out in awhile or made any dietary changes, the
culprit had to be an ingredient change in a product I use routinely.  I
suspected the butter when I reacted to a fresh chicken breast sauteed in
butter with fresh garlic.  I stopped eating the butter, and I am fine,
without any other dietary changes.  The label says that annato color is
added seasonally, and I suspect that is the problem ingredient.

On the positive side, I was shopping in a Meijer Store (a huge chain in
Michigan and northern Ohio) and came across Kozy Snack pudding in the dairy
case.  It is actually labeled gluten free!  Since I feel most deprived when
grocery shopping, this made my day.  Maybe more companies that sell to
regular grocery stores will see that this type of labeling is to their
advantage!

Cherie