From:
Pat Shechter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 12:26:20 -0500

Dear Listmates,

I need some feedback on a new (for me) concern.  I was diagnosed with CD in
April 1998 and have been extremely vigilant in sticking to a gluten-free
diet.  In late July, a new roommate moved in; when we discussed the
apartment and her interest in it, long before she moved in, I explained to
her that I have CD, explained the diet, and told her that she would need to
supply her own toaster, toaster oven, and pots if she planned to cook
wheat-based pasta.  I explained that again the morning after she moved in,
and we've talked since about the restrictions of the diet.  She keeps her
food separate, including regular bread, and bought her own toaster; I also
explained to her that she would not be able to make things from wheat or
other gluten-containing flours.  She understood all of this, or I thought
she did.

Then yesterday morning, I discovered that she has been heating her regular
(wheat flour) bread, uncovered / unwrapped in the microwave oven.  I was
surprised, because, except to defrost my gluten-free bread, bagels, etc., I
never heat bread in a microwave; instead, I use my toaster or toaster-oven.
I was also surprised, because I thought she understood that the kitchen
appliances were to be kept free of anything with gluten.  (To me, reheating
noodles in a container with a lid is different from heating uncovered pieces
of bread.)

My question is, do I need to worry about things I would heat in the
microwave oven becoming contaminated by her heating her bread in the
microwave?  Should I ask her to cover or wrap her bread?  To stop using the
microwave for this purpose?  (I think that the only reason she uses the
microwave instead of her toaster is that it's quicker -- heating bread in
the microwave takes 15 second, while toasting it in the toaster takes a few
minutes.)  Before I say anything to her, I wanted to put out an inquiry on
the list for ideas / advice on this.  (I did try to search the archives, but
the message I sent earlier this morning hasn't received a response.)  Do I
have cause for worry?  How have others on the list handled this?  If there
is interest, I'll summarize the responses I receive.

Many, many thanks in advance.

Patricia Shechter
Boston, MA

Email:  [log in to unmask]