From:
Niko Antalffy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:38:28 +1100

Dear all,

Yesterday on my shopping expedition (Coles supermarket in Neutral Bay,
Sydney) I discovered three new gf products! I really wanted to share the
news with you.

1) Arnott's Rice Cookies - it was lying side-by-side the other biscuits,
barely noticeable in its normal white wrap. If my partner doesn't alert
me I would have missed it! It's definitely gluten-free and is labelled
'special dietary food'. It's really yummy. Ingredients: sugar, vegetable
oil (palm), maize starch, soya flour, dessicated coconut, rice flour,
invert syrup, skim milk powder, salt, baking powder.

2) Freedom Foods' Chocolate Blitz Cookies with soy & linseed - I found
this in both the health-food/dietary section and the normal biscuit
section. Haven't tried it yet. Price: $2.93. Ingredients: gluten free
wheat free baking flour (rice flour, maize starch, soy flour, soy bran,
rice bran, cellulose, salt, fructose), sugar, eggs, lactose free
margarine, soy grits, linseed, chocolate chips, baking powder, cocoa,
natural chocolate flavour.

3) Lowan's Cocoa Bombs breakfast cereal - found between the other Lowan
cereals (again my partner's find), yellow box, 350 g, $2.79. Haven't
tried it yet, but it looks like my first decadent gf treat - if I have
the energy to get up for breakfast! It's also packaged to appeal to
kids. Replete with the gf symbol (the other two seem to have no symbol
or their own invention). Ingredients: rice flour, cocoa powder, glucose
(from tapioca), sunflower oil, sea salt, skim milk powder, emulsifier
(471), caramel (from corn). Finally an intelligent ingredients
list!!!!!!

One piece of bad news though, Soy Feast has come out with their new
'gluten and wheat free' corn fritter mix and it has maltodextrin and
dextrose among its ingredients. It was stocked in the dietary section
next to genuine gluten-free stuff... one can never be vigilant enough!

I also realized that many of my favourite and trusted fruit, nut and
sesame bars contain glucose of unknown origin. What a bummer! I only
managed to find one bar that is truly gluten-free: Kuranda's (Queensland
company) Pecan & Pistachio and Macadamia & Hazelnut bars.

If you can't find any of these products just call the manager. The more
we let ourselves be heard the more products we'll have in the future!

Happy eating!

Niko