From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:30:25 EDT

Re: the new Hagman bread book and rye bread recipe...EXCELLENT BREAD!

No way could out-of-town houseguests tell it was gf.

I didn't have instant or freeze dried coffee in the house, so I just used 1
cup of brewed coffee in place of the 1 tsp of freeze dried plus 1 cup water.

I'm tempted to dump the dough out of the bread machine next time, onto a
baking sheet dusted with cornmeal, top coated with egg yolk/water or egg
white/water...and baked in the oven. Bread machine loaves can never replace
round, thick-crusted oven-baked loaves. (A trick I use to get a good crust on
my French bread is to place a pan of water on the oven shelf below the bread
when it's baking.)

Since it is made with actual caraway seeds, I'm not sure I'd recommend this
bread for people with diverticulosis or diverticulitis. (spelling?)..or
anyone whose insides can't handle seeds.

Question...Is Garfava bean flour known to cause heartburn?  I used the
Garfava bean flour, as directed, but had terrible heartburn for the 2-3 days
that I ate the bread...of course it could have been from the spicey corned
beef and pastrami that I had on the bread. You don't taste the bean flour at
all...just a hearty rye flavor.

Linda