From:
Dave & Tracy Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:02:55 -0400

Hi!  I was diagnosed with celiac 2 years ago after becoming very sick
and being put in the hospital.  My intestines were very badly damaged.
A year ago I was put on prednisone, since I still had symptoms - not as
severe - and was following a gluten free diet.  Two months ago I had a
repeat endoscopy.  The intestines were better than 2 years ago, but not
completely healed.  I am back on prednisone, since it seams to be
refractory sprue.  I am eating a gluten free and lactose free diet.  In
addition, I stay away from other foods which seam to cause problems,
such as high fats (peanuts, peanut butter, soy butter, fried food) and
high sugars (no sweets) - I do have fruit juice once in a while for
some variety.  Despite my efforts, I still am having symptoms - mainly
in the early morning when I wake up with stomach pains, cramps and
bloating. Maybe I need to cut down on my dinner meal?  Last night I had
white rice and vegetables and rice bread.  Could it be the starch in the
rice?  It is a sticky plain white rice. I used to cook and bake a lot,
but now eat very bland. I reviewed everything with my nutritionist - I
eliminated all gluten and lactose.  Does anyone have any suggestions to
help me?  I would love to add variety to my gluten free cooking - but I
need to feel well with bland food first.

Tracy