From:
Reushann Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:27:19 -0400

Hi listmates,

Here is a summary to my query of whether celiac children are normally
late in losing their teeth, as well as having small-sized baby teeth.

I had fourteen responses.

Some felt there could be a direct link between CD and being late to lose
teeth, others felt that it was not related at all.

One person suggested it was related to when the baby teeth first come in.

Another said there was a direct correlation between how late a child
loses his baby teeth and onset of puberty.  It was suggested that kids
with celiac may go through puberty later because of slower growth as a
child, so perhaps that may be why the cd children are slower to lose
their teeth.

Somebody thought that this was the result of vaccines and the potential
damage done to the immune system.

It was suggested that I have x-rays taken of my son's teeth to see if the
adult teeth are ready to come down or if there are other problems.

Now for the anecdotes:
boy: (7) lost 1st tooth
boy:  (7 1/2 yrs.) not lost teeth yet.
boy: (8)  just  lost 1st tooth
boy: (8 1/2) lost 1st tooth,  dentist said will still be losing baby
   teeth at 13
boy:  6-18 months late to lose teeth,  most had to be pulled
girl: didn't lose teeth until 11 or 12 years.
boy:  teeth had to be pulled,  dentist said will be 14-15yrs old before
   all baby teeth are out.

3 adults responded with their own anecdotal experiences:

one diagnosed (dx) at 4,  started losing at 8,  had to have 8 baby teeth
pulled when junior in high school.

one, who was dx at 17, remembers losing teeth late.

one, recentlly dx,  lost 1st tooth at 9 years and had very small teeth.

Thanks for all the info.

Reushann Cox
NY