Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:05:40 -0400
Rob & Laurie Gage asked:

>any advice on cost cutting? paleo eating seems to get awfully expensive.
>i'm not trying to cut corners on my health, just get the most for my
>dollar.

1.  Buy dark meat poultry or whole (or cut up) fryers or roasters.
2.  Stock up when there is a sale on hormone-free poultry at your local
market.
3.  Buy fresh veggies and fruits from a Farmer's Market (it'll probably be
non-organic but at over $1 per organic grapefruit or apple two people
eating1-2 pieces of fruit could spend $60-120 /month just for the fruit,
before buying veggies, meat, poultry, fish, nuts, olive oil, etc.)
4.  Save the pan juices from meat and poultry then use the fat to saute
veggies and the defatted juices to warm up the leftovers or simmer veggies
in a skillet.
5.  Join a buying club or start one with people in your area.
6.  Start a garden if time/space/resources permit.
7.  Fish or hunt if you can.
8.  Check the Paleo Digest archives from sometime last spring....there were
posts on this topic--money saving tips, buying club info, etc.  Sorry I
don't have the dates!)

Rachel

PS>  You may save money by not needing a lot of OTC medications, potions,
doctor visits, etc. the longer you eat a nourishing, whole foods diet.