From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 23:31:55 -0700
>Out of curiousity, has anyone ever considered raising ants or some other
>edible insects to use as an extra protein source

I don,t feel the need to raise ants because they are just inhabiting my
house, in the winter and almost everyday eat few of them
i can easely gather termites in the stumps around my house
But i am considering to raise grasshopers that are easely caught in the wild
only a small part of the year  end of summer here.
I have a friend in France who did some research about edibles insectes and
wrote a book (not translated in english)  about it. He raised all kind of
insects in his garage.
There is a precious amino acids present in the shells of insects and
crustaceans ( don't remember the name now). They are very nourishing don't
need to eat a big amount (15,  20 grasshoper can make a meal )
I eat them raw.
IT is certainly the best way to sustain the  actual world population  "s
protein needs  without the unsustainbility of the present protein
production. ( from mammal meats or grains and pulse).
Go ahead ,it is tasty too ( just question to get used to the texture)
jean-claude