From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 15:53:55 -1000
Todd:
>I believe the carcinogenic compounds generated in the burning of
>meat are called heterocyclic amines.  Below is a reference on
>this.

Here's another which was posted on the raw foods list a while back...

===

Date:         Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:56:10 -0500
Sender:       Raw Food Diet Support List <[log in to unmask]>
From:         Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      One from Lancet

Hello Again,

Here's a new study showing that super-duper over-cooked charred-black
smokey-crisp burnt meat is great for you.....

It isn't linked with Chlamydia, however.

Love Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cancer risk has long been linked to meat consumption. One
possible explanation is that frying or cooking meat over an
open flame produces heterocyclic amines (HCAs), substances
shown to be carcinogenic in animal studies when ingested in
enormous quantities.

Researchers compared the diets of
people who had cancer of the colon, rectum, bladder, or
kidney with the diets of randomly selected control subjects
who did not have cancer. They found that intake of foods
high in HCAs could not be correlated with incidence of any
of the cancers investigated.

Reference: Augustsson, K., Skog, K. et al. 1999.
Dietary heterocyclic amines and cancer of the
colon, rectum, bladder, and kidney: A
population-based study. Lancet 353(9154):703-707.

Secola  /\  Nieft