NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:33:15 -0400
Message: 17
   Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:51:23 -0500
   From: Diane Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Halloween main dish idea-Wheat, gluten, egg, corn, dairy, and soy
free.

Tonight I was teaching a friend how to make stuffed peppers, an item that
her husband requested (she is just learning how to cook), and she asked how
she could get her kids to eat them.  After a few minutes, I had an idea, and
the kids loved it.  I thought I would share it, since I tailored this one
for Halloween.   I cut a jack-o-lantern styled face in the red bell peppers
before I boiled them.  I filled everyone's, but Tyler's with a garden
skillet dish that I make.  Tyler had crumbled hamburger, with beef broth,
julienne carrots, peas, onions, etc..,since he can not have tomatoes.  They
turned out really cute, and they were very simple to make.  Just be careful
when cutting the faces out of the peppers, and cut them before you boil
them.   Otherwise, they will probably rip or collapse.

Diane Hartman's Garden Skillet Supper

              1 pound ground beef
              2 cups diced Italian style tomatoes
              15 ounce can of tomato sauce
              ½ cup onion, chopped
              2 cups green peppers, chopped
              2 cloves garlic, minced
              1 teaspoon salt
              ½ teaspoon pepper
              3 cups cooked rice (I use minute rice)

              In a large cast iron skillet brown meat, onion and garlic.  In
a medium saucepan combine diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and
green peppers, boil for 6 to 8 minutes or until peppers reach tender state.
Transfer tomato mixture to skillet containing meat mixture.  Add cooked
rice.  Simmer an additional 5 minutes.  Can be served alone, or as a filling
for steamed peppers.

              Wheat, gluten, egg, corn, dairy, and soy free