NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:17:03 -0400
Roll call reply:

Heidi, lactose intolerant (I suspect, but never officially diagnosed) for
about two years (stress related? onset after husband had major heart
surgery). Doctors thought it might be an ulcer, but symptoms stopped as
soon as I removed dairy from my diet. Symptoms have gone from bad to worse
(now I react as though I've gotten food poisoning) over the past two
years--whenever I ingest lactose products. I'm 38 years old.

I regularly drink Lactaid 100 without any major reactions, although I
usually just use it in cereal, coffee, tea, and cooking. I'm not much of a
milk drinker anymore, thanks to the negative physical association it brings
on. Lactaid 100 tastes just like milk, although it tends to get a bit of a
"processed" taste after it has been open in the fridge a few days. I also
take DairyCare every morning to ward off any hidden dairy/lactose that may
occur in packaged foods/medicines, etc. (Dairy Care can be purchased from
the Internet for those of you who can't get it in stores. I think it's
www.dairycare.com. This isn't an ad, just some additional info!) I live in
Ocean, NJ.

I've been on this list for about two years, and have gotten great advice
for myself and other friends with food allergies. We are not alone!